Your holiday starts with the journey
Budget Rent a Car’s Travel Tips for the holiday season
The April Holiday season is here and with it comes chocolate bunnies, hot cross buns and one of the busiest weekends on Mzansi’s roads. With all the fun happening around, it is important that you do a safety check before setting off on your journey. Budget shares some tips to make sure you arrive at your destination safe and relaxed:
- Book your baby in for a checkup at the doctor! Schedule a full-service check just before you embark on your trip to ensure that your vehicle is roadworthy.
- Pump it up! Make sure that you have the correct tyre pressure in all your tyres. Budget suggests following the amount of pressure your vehicle manufacturer recommends. This should be listed on the driver’s side door, in the glove compartment, or in the owner’s manual.
- Check your threads. You should always check the condition of your tyre threads, bearing in mind that the legal minimum thread depth is 1.6mm.
- Now you see me, now you don’t! Ensure that your windscreen wiper blades are not worn out as this will affect your vision while driving. Use your headlights during the day to increase your visibility.
- Can I see some ID? Check that your vehicle license disc is up to date and visible. Always carry a valid driver’s license when you are driving.
- Ditch the extra baggage – who needs it! Pack smart to ensure the weight of your luggage is balanced across the vehicle and check your vehicle’s load capacity to make sure you aren’t overloading the car.
- Be ready for anything. Keep an emergency kit in your car to ensure you are prepared for a mechanical breakdown (tyre changing kit) or injury (first aid kit). Also, ensure you check the weather forecast before you head off.
- Charge it up! Always make sure your cell phone is charged and that you have road side assistance contact information on hand. Budget’s got you covered with a compact accessories kit, available at all Budget kiosks, to ensure that your cellphone is charged.
- Strap in! Be wary on the road and ensure you and your passengers are wearing seatbelts.
- Be a good sport. Rather give way and practice caution by not overtaking on blind spots or barrier lines. This can go a long way to ensuring you and your family stay safe.
- No phone Zone! Never talk on a mobile phone without using a hands-free kit.
- Slow and steady wins the race! Stick to the speed limit – you are out of the rat race so enjoy a comfortable cruise to your destination.
Put safety first, relax and enjoy the ride . . .