FlySafair gets approval for low cost license

Safair, a trusted and respected name in the airline industry, has been granted approval by the South Africa’s Air Service Licensing Council to launch their own domestic scheduled operation, FlySafair.

Offering up to ten daily flights between Johannesburg and Cape Town, FlySafair will be utilising two Boeing 737-400 aircraft to service the route. The low cost carrier is set to officially launch tickets sales in September and be fully operational by the last quarter of 2013.

“We are extremely excited about this new chapter in Safair’s history and we look forward to further being of service to South Africa’s flying public,” says Dave Andrew, CEO of Safair. “Having close to 50 years of aviation experience, along with our proven track record of excellence within the aviation industry, the launch of FlySafair represents a natural evolution of our business.”

Safair is considered to be one of Africa’s foremost leading aviation service providers with an established history of enabling airlines and operators to successfully navigate their business in an ever-changing business climate. The company’s dedication to excellence has been fostered by their years of expertise and experience in providing aircraft leasing, maintenance, special operations, chartering and training services. Safair has a 75% South African shareholding, with the other 25% owned by the Irish ASL Aviation Group.image003

Since the early eighties, Safair has also been working with international aid partners such as the International Committee of the Red Cross, World Food Program and the United Nations, providing flights and carrying goods and supplies into the rest of Africa, and in fact the world, as part of their commitment to corporate social investment.

Few people realise just how involved Safair has been in the South African aviation sector over the last few years, having served as a commercial support partner for most other local airlines. This involves Safair being contracted to operate the other airlines’ schedules whenever they have an aircraft out of service due to technical reasons or crew shortages.

In these instances, Safair provides their own unbranded aircraft and crew, and operates under the company name of the airline it is assisting. Due to this support service, Safair can already boast a history of flying a large number of the South African general public.

Andrew concludes that FlySafair has the necessary experience, expertise and record of excellence needed to provide world-class and industry leading services to the low cost airline industry in South Africa.

“Although many people have commented that the airline industry is an unfavourable environment for new entrants at the moment, we would like to remind the public that we have been flying commercially for almost half a century already and we have no doubt that FlySafair will only serve to further grow the domestic market. Owing to our reputation of success, we assert that our new carrier will operate proficiently, and offer the highest standards of excellence and service to our customers – all at a price that they can afford. We look forward to welcoming you onboard again.”

Author: Muzi Mohale

Hi there, am your host and I blog about the tourism industry in South Africa. You're also welcome to contribute your expert content on matters affecting the industry. You can reach me on muzi[at]tourismedition.com

Share This Post On

Leave a Reply