Gauteng Tourism CEO, Dawn Robertson interview
On World Tourism Day, last week Thursday, I sat down with Dawn Robertson at Kwalata Game Lodge, the Chief Executive Officer of Gauteng Tourism Authority, Cradle of Humankind and Dinokeng to chat about tourism matters in the province. Please be aware that quality of the sound is not superior, therefore I beg your patience. There were other people in the room…which you’ll pick-up as you listen.
Highlights of our chat includes the following:
- Collapsing tourism bodies into one body.
- Developing new unit – Infrastructure and Investments.
- Using Apps and GPS co-ordinates.
- Launching a Sandton digital office.
- Developing route maps.
- Upgrading attractions…Maropeng undergoing a revamp.
- Developing Virtual Lab – live video interaction.
- Sharpeville decay – engaging local authorities in caring for attractions.
- Gautrain links tourists to hop-on, hop-off bus.
- Growing trend on inner city hotels in Johannesburg.
- My GeePee campaign going mobile – partnered with Blue Label.
- Comments on e-tolling.
- Johannesburg Stadium white elephant?
- Developing Gauteng Convention Bureau (stopping ad-hoc sponsorship requests).
- Rand Show – My GeePee representatives walking the floor…
- Managing 13 senior managers (Gauteng Tourism Authority, Cradle of Humankind & Dinokeng Game Reserve).
- Yeoville Development Agency – developing a tourism route (walking tours).
- Dinokeng – Moving beyond the game reserve…focus shifts to Cullinan and Roodeplaat.
- Gauteng Tourism developing new products for investments (Click to Tweet)
- To launch new digital offices at OR Tambo International Airport and Sandton Square (Click to Tweet)
- Encouraging African visitors to stay more days beyond shopping (Click to Tweet)
- Gautrain links tourists to inner city sightseeing tours (Click to Tweet)
- Piloting 20 sites for My GeePee campaign (Click to Tweet)
- For publication tomorrow: Big 5 game reserve in my steop – Dinokeng