Protea Hotel President’s refurbishment gets underway
The 4th and penultimate phase of the Protea Hotel President’s refurbishment gets underway this month. The hotel is the jewel of Cape Town’s Beachfront and will refurbish 51 rooms and apartments in the next four months.
Predominantly on the 1st floor of the hotel, the newly decorated rooms will be completed to the same standard as the already completed 4 floors.
The third phase of the refurbishment was completed in November 2012. So far a total of 238 out of the 349 rooms have been refurbished.
This multi-million rand renovation project has been completed in stages to minimise the impact on the thousands of business and leisure GUESTS of the hotel. The refurbishment began in October 2008 and the majority of the construction during the 4th phase will take place on weekdays from from 8am to 5pm.
All public areas have already undergone extensive refurbishment, says hotel GM Pieter Buitendag, and work on the rooms completed so far includes:
- Flat screen TVs in all new rooms;
- Stylish laminate flooring replacing carpets;
- The replacement of all curtains;
- An elegant four- or six-seater glass table with leather chairs in all rooms that previously featured bar counters;
- All rooms equipped with semi self-catering kitchens including microwaves and fridges as well as the normal tea/coffee facilities;
- All bathrooms in the standard rooms brought up to date with rimless glass showers only, or glass protected showers over baths; and
- The replacement of furniture, making the new rooms a calm study of light wood, white linen and cream, with touches of accent colour to produce a clean, modern and sophisticated look.
Protea Hospitality Group Marketing and Advertising Manager Nicholas Barenblatt said the hotel’s transformation is dramatic.
“The renovation has taken the Protea Hotel President into a new league and it is one of three Atlantic Seaboard Protea Hotels that have undergone multi-million rand refurbishments recently.
“Our GUEST feedback on the improvements at Protea Hotel President has been tremendously positive and there is no doubt that it is one of the finest hotels in Cape Town.”